King Mezatron - My Everlasting Zeal. To many this name and album title doesn't have any importance nor much relevance. With the vast majority of music and styles available, the album My Everlasting Zeal defines that diamond in the rough. King Mez has been able to embody a part of hip hop that doesn't make it's way to the public ear. This album that King Mez has created is a wonderful project with consigns and production credits from the likes of Omen, J. Cole and King Mez himself. This album also has production from Commissioner Gordon a producer whose work I'm beginning to become infatuated with. The album begins with a mysterious ambiance, which sets the entire album for its rise. As he classifies what music is consistent of in hip hop today in his "Intro" then he jumps into "About Me" allowing the listener to visualize the type of person that is King Mez. King Mez has been able to create an entire album on a story that flows well together and is similar with section 80 in some forms and different in others. As "Monte Carlo" is a cut that is a personal favorite for me. The scratch technique is a difficult technique to master and not over used as King Mez did that almost perfectly. The word choice, subject matter and content on the entire album is on a higher level. With joints like "tonight", "The Queen", "The Crown" he builds a rapport to a common person. The spoken word on "highness" defines why he classifies himself as a King and using the H.A.M. Sample only adds to the exuberance of the album. The word play that's used is a consistent interesting level of knowledge being spewed from the mind of a Mad Rapper.
Top 4:
1. The Crown
2. Allure
3. Monte Carlo
4. Highness
With that being said I was able to come into contact with King Mez himself and the team. I had the pleasure of interviewing him. Here's the product.
1. Beginning with your name who are you?
- Morris Wayne Rick II. I Am a rapper, I make
beats, a dreamer. I feel like I'm more of an artist than a rapper. An
innovator. I feel like leaving it at rap is short changing m creative ability.
2. Why did you name your album "My Everlasting
Zeal'? And why did you call yourself King Mez?
- King Mez is an acronym for
"Knowledge Is Now God My Ever Lasting Zeal". My Everlasting
Zeal is the acronym for the Mez part. In this album I felt perceptions I put
out there and stuff like that embodies me as a person. There’s certain depths
regarding the album and points but I feel like I did a pretty good job of
representing of who I am.
3.What does Hip-Hop mean to you?
- Hip-Hop means everything to me. My girl was
talking to me asking me what else is on your mind besides music? Its always
something that has to do with music. I feel like Hip-Hop is my median to the
world.
4.What vision do you have for yourself with your
music? What message are you trying to express through your music?
- My music; I want to reach more people in a
more impactful way and continue to grow as an artist myself. i just think music
is a powerful form of communication. Music is the only thing scientifically
passes through both hemispheres of your brain. That’s why you remember your
ABC's because of the music behind the song. Really understanding the depth and
power as an artist is a responsibility as an artist. I try to be as responsible
to be aware of that. I wouldn't categorize my music though ill always have
those fun records and those that actually speaks to you and has substance. In
my opinion it’s hard to relate to music that doesn't have substance and
assimilate with. People always want you to speak for them through your music
and without substance it’s hard to do that. Like now I already have records for
my next project that’s fun and stuff you can ride to and stuff that requires
less thought. Like Monte Carlo doesn’t have one topic but its a song to listen
to and ride with. But with my music I wouldn't categorize my work under one
umbrella.
5. Is there anything wrong with Hip-Hop music? If
so why or why not?
- Hip-hop is free expression. I don't think hip-hop
should be frozen in time. The sound changing is one thing. I think the people
who created Hip-Hop knew it would change but the one thing i do fear is that
Hip-Hop losing the ability to influence and change lives through music. If
anything is music without substance it’s not wrong but music without substance
is only for now where as music with substance can stand the test of time. Like
Biggie Smalls and Tupac they had those subjects that touched and made their
subjects relatable. Like Tupac had "Brenda Had A Baby" and Biggie had
"Juicy”. Songs like that will always be around but people enjoy and listen
to the fun ones because those with subjects touched their soul momentarily or
over time which gave them longevity and i feel that’s how they stood the test
of time.
6.Who would you choose between Biggie and Tupac?
- BIG, as I grew up and went back to listen to
Tupac he's a great lyricist. But it was always Big for me. Maybe its because I
connected with Big more or my Northern Roots. Its maybe the beat selection and
the wordplay but I listened and favored Biggie much much more my favorite than Tupac
is.
7. Who's your favorite artist of the past and
present?
- Nas; the way he captures things and situations
in time like he did. Nobody else can capture those ideas and events so lucidly
as vivid as Nas did. I think Nas should be in history books and learn about him
like Edgar Allen Poe. He's one of the most talented to ever do it. He was one
of the first to ever conceptualize like Nas did like Rewind where he rapped
backwards. Favorite album is between Illmatic and It was written.
8. Favorite Car?
-Audi R8, Benz G Wagon, Acura NSX
9. Favorite Actress?
- Zoe Saldana easy tho, she's such a great actress
and she's so beautiful. I would love to explore mind and what not.
10. Celebrity Crush?
- Its probably between Rosa Acosta and Megan Good.
Maybe if I could go back to a young Clair Huxtable. She was real bad.
11. Favorite TV show of all time?
- Probably "Hey Arnold Yo".
12. Who's been your role model?
- My mother my biggest influence.
13. Why did you start your music career?
- I been rapping since i was 9. and started
writing at 13. My parents listened to a lot of Biggie Smalls, Rakim, EPMD and I
took to it and tried to understand it. I remember trying to remember the words
and singing it back and singing it all wrong because I didn't completely
understand what they was talking about. The beats caught me and the cadence
made me fall in love with it even though I didn't understand the words and the
subject matter as much. Rakim, as I got older I realized how he innovated
hip-hop's sound and the cadence. Of course Sugar Hill Gang and started it but
Rakim perfected it. That flow that we use now and Big Daddy Kane behind him.
His method of rhyming and style is really dope to me its great.
14. Who influenced your music career?
-Sonically Kanye West influenced my sound most.
He's my favorite producer hands down. The places Kanye West is taking music is
amazing astounding. Kanye West easily.
15. How was it working with J. Cole?
- It was dope and crazy. he sent me a text one
middle of the night like "Yo whats up this is J Cole, Im A fan of
your music". He heard my music through Omen he put J Cole On my music.
Omen introduced my music to him. That was his first time listening to me and he
came through my city (Raleigh, North Carolina) on his way to
Fayetteville. I met up with him we chopped it up and played me some
music. He actually worked on a beat and asked me to put my input on the beat
and work with him. All types of stuff and he ended up sending me a beat for my
project later on. He's a real good dude. I try to work with him every time he
comes through to North Carolina.
16. Did he let you listen to any of his music?
- Yea, he did actually, his second album its real
crazy.
17. Compared to all of his part work has he stepped
it up? How much so?
- Yea, by a long shot it’s at a way higher
level. His production is insane. His beats are just so good because a lot of
the time when people make beats they only sound good on their own beats an not
anybody else's but he's crazy on this second album. He sounds so good it sounds
like Kanye could have produced his second album. J. Cole produces so well its
crazy he made some of the craziest beats I've heard. His raps have stepped up
as well to a whole new level. I’m just paying attention to everything he's
teaching me he has a lot of stuff to teach me and I'm just learning everything
I can and soak it all up.
18. On being featured on Life + Times (Jay-Z's
Website) thats something not many new artist do. How do you feel about that?
- I heard through the grapevine that Jay had to
personally sign off on it to be featured on the website so maybe he knows about
me and has heard my music.
19. Can we expect to see a King Mez & J. Cole
Collab?
-Definitely. I can't really specify when but its
a possibility.
20. Have you made a song with him yet?
- There’s a few things in the works. I have a
few songs that he'll sounds great on and his team reached out and said he might
hit me up for a song on his next mixtape. Supposedly on August 28th. But it’s a
decision thing you never know.
21. Who would you like to work with in the future?
- André 3000, Nas, MF Doom, Kanye West, Jay-Z,
Lupe Fiasco and Frank Ocean.
22. What artist today is pushing the hip-hop
culture?
- Its one thing to make good Hip-Hop music. But
Kanye and Frank Ocean. Frank is doing some crazy stuff to push the culture he's
making music unlike things I've ever heard from anybody. Very few people are
making good Hip-Hop music. I think Kendrick Lamar is putting out great hip-hop
and making it something else. J Cole and Big Krit. Big Krit sonically isn't
pushing the sound but he's very sincere in his music. I think thats important.
23. Top 5 Mixtapes in the last 5 years of hip-hop?
- Easily The Warm Up By J. Cole, Return Of 4Eva
By Big Krit, Overly Dedicated by Kendrick Lamar, Krit Wuz Here By Big Krit. See
the thing is once I find somebody I like i don't stray far away from them.
Right now J. Cole, Kendrick Lamar, and Big Krit.
24. So I read in The Source J. Cole approached you
with an offer to sing to his label. Is that an option or are you looking for
something else?
-Yea we talked and stuff about it and it came
up. That was the conversation we had. Its an option and we talking right
now.
25. Hows your grandma?
- She's good real good. I’m gonna move to Maryland
so I can be closer to New York while this albums is buzzing. But she's real
good. (To understand as to why I asked this question you gotta listen to the
album)
26. Lastly How You Livin?
- Good Good. Thanking god for everyday.
I want to thank King Mez ( http://twitter.com/kingmez ) and Eve (http://twitter.com/sincerely_eve ) for working with me on this project. Also follow my twitter on the top left corner or through this link ( http://twitter.com/TheStebin ) I also want to thank all of my old readers and the new ones that may read this. I want to thank every single of you from the bottom of my heart y'all help make these blog posts possible. THANK YOU.
"Nigga what you supposed to be a king of? Matter fact how do you know what does? I know I just want that thrown. It ain't gotta be the main as long nobody living got the same one."- King Mez (Reign)
Until Next Time I Wish You Peace, Love Respect and Happiness.



No comments:
Post a Comment